Welcome to Cadney cum Howsham
First recorded as Catenai in the Doomsday Book, Cadney has been spelt a variety of ways including Cadenai, Kadenei and Kadnay. Translated the villages name means 'island or dry ground in marsh, of a man called Cada'.
More information can be found in:
Cameron, Keith The Place-Names of Lincolnshire. Mills, A.D. A Dictionary of English Place Names.
The village of Cadney lies in the northern part of what was historically known as the Yarborough Wapentake. The parish boundary is defined by water on all sides by the Old River Ancholme, Kettleby Beck and North Kelsey Beck.
To the east of Cadney lies the hamlet of Howsham and to the west stands Newstead Priory Farm. A small Gilbertine house was founded here by Henry II in 1171 and upon its dissolution in 1538 housed a prior and five canons. The parish church of All Saints has its roots in Norman times and was restored between 1912 and 1914 by Sir Charles Nicholson.
Entry from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900
Cadney-Cum-Howsham is a large agricultural parish, in the North Lindsey division of the county, parts of Lindsey, south division of Yarborough Wapentake, Brigg petty sessional division, Glanford Brigg union, Brigg county court district, rural deanery of Yarborough No. 2, archdeaconry of Stow and diocese of Lincoln. The village of Cadney is 3 miles south from Brigg, and at Howsham, 2.5 miles east is a station on the Lincoln, Cleethorpes and Hull branch of the Great Central (late M.S. and L.) railway, 154 miles from London.
The church of All Saints, at Cadney, is of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, chantry, south porch and a western tower containing one bell: there is an oak screen, beautifully carved, and a Norman font: in 1865 a severe gale of wind carried away the roof of the chancel, but a new roof has been erected at the cost of the Earl of Yarborough: beneath the pulpit is a stone inscribed to the memory of the Pye family and bearing date 1699: there are also the remains of a stained window in the south aisle: the chancel and chantry each retain a piscina: the church was closed for restoration in 1895, and divine service is now held in a licensed Mission room. The register dates from the year 1564. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £250, including 15 acres of glebe, is the gift of the Earl of Yarborough P.C. and held since 1891 by the Rev. Adrian Woodruffe-Peacock L.Th. of Hatfield Hall, Durham, F.L.S., F.G.S. Here are Primitive Methodist and Independent chapels. The Earl of Yarborough P.C. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips. The soil is carr, clay and sand; subsoil various. The area of Cadney-Cum-Howsham is 4,540 acres of land and 8 of water; rateable value of Cadney, £4,023; the population in 1891 was 428.
Howsham is a hamlet, half a mile from the station and 2 miles east of Cadney. Here is a small chapel of ease, a building of brick, consisting of nave only, and having 70 sittings: there are also chapels for the Weslyans and Primitive Methodists.